Wednesday, December 12, 2012

She Survived.

In a place like Zirobwe, Uganda... age is a thing to be admired. Old age means survival. Old age means you've beat the odds. You've survived malaria, war, poverty, hardship, sickness, aids, violence, starvation, etc.

As we walked up to her home, I was amazed at how old and worn she looked. I was honored as she bowed her old, feeble knees to us as a sign of respect. She bows to me.... I barely know how to process it. I want to sit and talk to her. I want to know her story. I want to know what she's been through. I want to know how she finds the strength to kneel on the hard ground, just to honor us. She astounds me.

In a place like Uganda, she has beat all the odds. She has made it. I want to know all the words of wisdom she has and I want to soak it all in. I want to know how you find the strength to go on day after day in poverty. It's so hard for me to understand how she does it. The joy on her face as she accepts the mosquito net we've brought her is beautiful. I know that the reason she has made it, the reason for the perseverance is nothing but Jesus. It has to be.

I want Jesus that much in my life...  So much so that the circumstances of my life don't matter. That I can trust in Him so much amid so many things that don't make since and don't seem fair. I want that joy, that trust, that hope.

And I believe God is showing it to me.

until all have heard,
lauren michelle gross

No comments:

Post a Comment