Monday, December 10, 2012

Blessings in Disguise

Since I've been in this beautiful country, there have been several times that things have frustrated me, but which ultimately turned out to be blessings. Most of these blessings in disguise have had a central theme from God... "Slow down and spend time with me..."

Now the first instance I'm gonna share has nothing to do with the above theme, but it's the first one that happened. As many of you may remember, toward the end of October another missionary and I had our wallets and cameras stolen. What could have been a devastating event really wasn't that bad. God protected us in so many ways. It could've been so much worse. It was just stuff... and through the way we handled it a lot of people were impressed and realized the peace that comes from knowing the Lord! When your money and camera and IDs get stolen, it could be very easy to freak out and lose perspective. Somehow we never did and I believe God has blessed us for that.

Over Thanksgiving we had the power go out for 5 days. When it went out and I wasn't able to Skype my family on my favorite holiday, I was upset to say the least. But as those 5 days without power and internet unfolded, God showed us His plan. He wanted us to sit with Him, to stop focusing on what was going on at home and to focus on what He was doing here. We had 5 days of worship, bonding, and spending time in the quiet and stillness with Him.

Just last week, I went to the craft market and fell while I was there. I twisted my ankle and got bumps and bruises all over my body. By last Sunday night I could barely walk and I was freaking out!!! As everyone left for the village the next morning, I decided I should stay behind and rest my ankle. During those 2 1/2 days alone I was able to focus, gain new perspective, and begin to process that I leave this place very soon. I was able to spend time with Him and He began to reveal some of His purposes in my time here. He began to show me how, in His sovereignty He arranged every moment of my trip for my ultimate good. And above all, I just have more time and quiet to spend with Him.

This morning I was doing a favor for Emily and dropping off some stuff at Internal Affairs for her visa renewal. She has been here 6 months and plans to stay 6 more, but she is meeting all kinds of resistance and difficulty in renewing her visa. Will you pray for her that doors will be opened and her visa will be approved? Anyway, back to the story. I went to drop off her paperwork and was told that 2 things weren't good enough and she would have to try again. I was very frustrated for her because I went through the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I decided that I would walk for a ways toward home... So I walked for about an hour. I worshiped God, I prayed, I breathed in the amazing African air that I will miss so much...Most of all, I spent time with Him! I walked about 6.3 km and had a great time!

God uses unexpected things to get me into His presence and I am so grateful! I am so glad I serve a God who wants intimate time with me. He desires me more than I could ever imagine. The Most High God wants me! and He wants you too!!

until all have heard,
lauren michelle gross

No comments:

Post a Comment